schizophrenia means: A group of disorders psychiatrists that are associated with brain dopamine imbalance. Usually characterized by delusions and hallucinations as well as withdrawal from reality and unorganized thinking patterns. (in Merlin Dictionary)
What else does schizophrenia mean?
- Situation or condition that is characterized by contradictory qualities, attitudes or activities (in Merlin Dictionary)
- A serious mental illness that is often persistent and progressive. It causes withdrawal and out-of-character behavior, emotional and intellectual deterioration, and may lead to hallucinations. (in Slang Dictionary, added by Thalia Richards)
- A condition in which a person’s view of reality is different from the majority of others. This is often thought to be a sign of illness. In some cases, it could be true. However, in other instances, the individual may exist in an undefined transcendent state. (in Slang Dictionary, added by Camille Berry)
- A serious mental illness. This is a valid point. It is now clear that schizophrenia may be explained by a natural reaction of an intelligent, sensitive, open-minded and deep-thinking human being to being surrounded with braindead people in a society that punishes them for being independent. (in Slang Dictionary, added by Kelsie Mcbride)
- An acquired mental disorder that is caused by a combination of trauma and genetics. A deviation from normal reality. An individual who is not able to comprehend the psychology of another person. A sign that a person with schizophrenia is “lost” within their brain. Possible correlation between different levels of consciousness. This could lead to major confusion between the reality and what the mind created. A high level of sensitivity to low-frequency sounds and/or noises and electromagnetic fields. Extreme belief in aliens, conspiracy theories; religion or God; physics (oh, did you not know that Albert Einstein’s son is schizophrenic); governmental surveillance and tracking; the supernatural; martyrdom. Auras; gifts and signs. Oracles. Time travel. Hallucinations. Visual and/or auditory. And a higher purpose. An attitude that something is wrong or amiss. A higher sense of self-awareness or belonging. A scattered creativity. Rejection of basic, societal and systematic laws. A firm belief that the truth is what you believe it to be. You are likely to be just as insane and self-destructive as you already know. (in Slang Dictionary, added by Antonio Allison)
- Positive symptoms include hallucinations and delusions, disorganized thought and speech, and negative symptoms that make it difficult to feel pleasure or motivate. The most common time the disorder develops is in the late teens or early twenties, when the brain matures fully. Antipsychotics are a common treatment option. Although they can often have an impact on the symptoms of schizophrenia, compliance to these medications is typically poor because of their serious side effects. Treatment is not likely to improve cognitive function, which can lead to significant disability. It is thought that about 80 percent of heritability can be attributed to genetic factors. The genetic studies of neurodevelopmental pathways include sperm function and DNA repair, synaptic development, immune system and DNA repair. Environment factors can include pregnancy problems, advanced maternal age, child abuse, urban environments, marijuana use during childhood and adolescence, or addiction to alcohol or stimulants. Suicide is a possibility at around 5; unemployment about 85; and social isolation are possible. Around 0.5 percent of schizophrenia sufferers are estimated. (in Slang Dictionary, added by Gabriel Fernández)