braise means: Braising is a method of cooking meat that involves browning it in fat or oil and then slowly simmering in liquid. The process of braising tenderizes meat and improves its flavor. (in Cooking Dictionary)
What else does braise mean?
- Slowly cook poultry or meat in small amounts of liquid. Before braising, meat may be lightly browned with a little fat. (in Cooking Dictionary)
- A method of cooking in very little liquid (also known as stewing or pot roasting) that is not submerged in liquid like boilingpoaching. For the purposes of creating a sauce, or coating, braising concentrates the flavor of the food in the liquid. (in Cooking Dictionary)
- You can cook meat by browning the meat in butter and then simmering it with some liquid in a covered saucepan. (in Cooking Dictionary)
- Brown the food and then cook slowly on the stovetop in a little liquid. (in Cooking Dictionary)
- Cook (meat and vegetables) using fat. Then, simmer in small amounts of liquid inside a container. (in Merlin Dictionary)