banana republic means: Small country which is dependent economically on one export commodity such as bananas. It is usually governed by either a dictatorship or its armed forces. (in Merlin Dictionary)
What else does banana republic mean?
- Banana Republic was a Central American country. I can still remember those days. It is now a clothing shop that sells very nice clothes. (in Slang Dictionary, added by Godofredo Álvarez)
- Latin America’s dictatorship country. This is because Latin American people were exploited and ruled by the United Fruit Company. (in Slang Dictionary, added by Yolanda Pascual)
- This is a stereotypical Central American country, dominated by foreign corporations due to the fact that these countries are usually controlled by the United Fruit Company. They also grew bananas. (in Slang Dictionary, added by Raimundo Crespo)
- Italy’s Silvio Berlusconi “government” (in Slang Dictionary, added by Benito Vicente)
- An asianislander conservative, the opposite to a boba liberal. Both can be annoying and bad in their own way. The bananas look yellow from the outside, but are white inside. They view things through the eyes of Republicans, and will side with conservative causes. Because Asians are expected to assimilate into white culture, they will minimize any political differences. The White-Americans are the best way to realize the American Dream. They will also try to minimize any problems with minorities like the Brown-Americans or Black-Americans to make it seem as if they can get as close as possible to them. The belief that Asian American issues are second only to White Americans is not true, but they will also downplay the importance of social problems among other Non-White Americans as they are not considered to be as significant than Whites or Asians. These people are known to carry TrumpMAGA flags and shout it proudly, but they don’t care that President Trump calls it the “ChinaVirus”. They believe the virus originated overseas so it won’t affect them on the same scale as American Racism ideology. These people fled their country because communism was in power and they believe that the only purpose of the democratic party is to restore communism. Since they don’t believe in white supremacy, they regard White Americans as superiors and will ignore any issues that are not related to White Americans. (in Slang Dictionary, added by Tristan Chang)
- The phrase “a country run crazies” is what it means. I’m quoting Dianne, season 3 episode 3. She says that after being suggested by someone that the USA had its faults, she said, “We are not a Banana Republic,” you know. “. (in Slang Dictionary, added by Taylor Vincent)